Product and design news from around the Web, including new technologies that provide Jetsons-like home automation, xeriscaping beyond the desert, low-speed wind turbines, and creative cabinetry.
• Manufacturers at Mobile World Congress this week showed that Jetsons-like home control is no longer a fantasy—but it still risks being slowed by today’s incompatibility realities.
• One glance at the Wind Harvester and it’s clear this isn’t your mother’s wind turbine. Based on a “reciprocating motion that uses horizontal aerofoils,” the device can generate power in low winds and high speeds, typical tripping points for traditional vertical models.
• Head’s up, remodelers: Read the rest of this entry »
Introductions, insights, and inspirations from the world of building products this past week, including two big names expanding the market’s LED options, a decline in green product purchases, and homeowner trends galore.
• Samsung has entered the LED market with seven bulbs, including several screw-in options.
• Not to be outdone, Toshiba has introduced its own A19 LED lamp.