Colors of the year, toxic-material buzzwords, top green products, and more product news from around the industry this week.
• We’ve entered that fun time when paint manufacturers begin releasing next year’s signature colors—those hues that reflect our current culture, state of mind, and style choices. Sherwin Williams’ pick for its color of the year is “Exclusive Plum,” described as a dusky, silky violet.
• Also releasing its color report is Pittsburgh Paints, whose “Book of Now” compilation of 2014 color forecast stories highlights keywords such as “versatile,” “optimistic,” “dynamic,” and “elegant.”
• This is also the time of year when magazines compile their favorite finds. One of the most respected is BuildingGreen’s Top 10 Green Products, which this year includes CLT and mineral wool.
• Broadening the scope, here are This Old House’s Top 100 favorite new-home products from the year.
• If your pickup’s past its prime, here’s a look at three truck models rolling off the lines in 2014.
• Our reclaimed-material-loving hearts are pounding over these bike chain chandeliers.
• Trying to keep toxic materials out of your projects? Memorize these 4 red-flag product descriptors.
• If there’s no room in the bathroom but plenty of room in the budget, try a wall-hung toilet on for size.
• 6 fun-and-functional products from the Remodeling Show.
• USGBC and UL are teaming up to increase building material transparency.
Product news from the past week, including stylish shower benches, finds from the Remodeling Show, smokin’ chimney caps, skyrocketing solar, and more.
Blocks that self assemble, bathtubs made from wood and stone, the push for transparency, Remodeling Show preview, and other product news from the past week.
• We can envision a world in which robots construct our buildings—but what about a world in which the robots are the building? Read the rest of this entry »
The latest bulb technologies, IKEA selling solar, rammed-earth houses, and other product news from the past week.
Bay windows go modern, barn doors slide into homes, tall wood buildings capture more attention, and other product news from the past week.
Fungus-based green building materials, utilities versus solar, ceilings that soar, top-rated work trucks, and other product news from the past week.
- Are mushrooms, sheep’s wool, and bacteria the green building materials of the future? Read the rest of this entry »
2013’s trendy colors, life-saving air conditioning, inspiring islands, arguing against spray foam, and other product news from the past week.
Tricks for concealing gadgets, accessible appliances, inspiring fireplaces, and other product news from around the web this week.
Eye-catching window shutters, engineered wood trends, soaring solar, and other product news from around the web this week.
Predicting the next big appliance finish, architects’ favorite products, 10 inspired closet doors, brick-painting tips, and other product news from around the web this week.
• Is stainless steel wearing out its welcome? If so, what’s the next big finish trend for kitchen appliances? Read the rest of this entry »
Coffered ceilings, a skylight boom, reducing material waste, and other product news from the past week.