Buzz: Product News Roundup – Royal Wave EditionPosted: 12.27.2011
The holidays didn’t slow the flow of interesting building product news last week. Here are a few stories that caught our attention, including Queen Elizabeth’s alternative energy installation, solar-generating paint, 2012 trends, fabulous fireplaces, and more.
• The Queen’s Gone Green: A pair of turbines installed in the River Thames will generate enough wave-powered electricity to power most of Windsor Castle.
• Move over panels; researchers at Notre Dame have formulated a wall paint that can generate solar electricity.
• Blow-in insulation, textured tile, cool doorbells, and seven other products Builder magazine thinks you should be using in 2012.
• BuildingGreen has posted nine products under consideration for the GreenSpec Directory and is soliciting public opinion. Weigh in here.
• Residential Design + Build’s editorial director offers up 5 sustainability trends for 2012.
• Wintertime got you feeling a bit chilly? Here are 13 fireplaces to warm–and wow–you.
• Building energy-efficient homes starts with proper neighborhood planning.
• 15 terrific tiny house projects prove that good things really do come in small packages.
• The American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) has revised two specifications related to secondary storm products.
• In case you missed it, here are 10 interesting, arty, or out-there backsplashes.